Since the outbreak of the coronavirus disease in late 2019, there have been over 80,000 cases documented worldwide that have resulted in more than 2,700 deaths according to the World Health Organization
With the disease reaching more than 40 countries, many live event organizers have been canceling or postponing large gatherings – including many major concert events.
Here’s a brief list of just some of the events canceled so far (via Billboard.com):
- Back in January, X Ambassadors canceled their Feb. 14 and 15 shows in Shanghai and Chengdu
- The Boston Symphony Orchestra cancelled their Asian tour
- The National Symphony Orchestra followed suit - calling off shows in Beijing and Shanghai.
- R&B artist Khalid delayed his shows in Asia citing concerns for “the safety of Khalid's fans, his team and everyone who has been working on these concerts.”
- New Order have cancelled shows in Tokyo and Osaka. In a statement – the band said "With the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, we are concerned about the potential quarantine we may face affecting further shows and appearances. We would also hate to risk our fan’s health or the of risk spreading the virus on our return."
- Green Day postponed their tour dates in Asia "due to the health + travel concerns with coronavirus"
- Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals announced that they decided to cancel tour dates in Japan. On social media – Harper said "Most importantly we are wishing well to all those affected. We apologize to our fans in Japan for this inconvenience and we hope to reschedule soon."
- Indie rock outfit The National canceled their shows Tokyo for "the interest of public safety”. They went on to say "We look forward to returning in the future and performing for our friends in Japan."
- Queen and Adam Lambert planned show in Paris has been postponed "following a government decree in France to cancel all indoor events over 5,000 capacity in France until 31st May in an effort to contain the spread of Coronavirus."
- SXSW organizers have cancelled their entire event – which drew over 400,000 people and thousands of bands to Austin TX.
- a-ha have cancelled their Japanese tour - "We were really looking forward to seeing our fans & friends in Asia, but the safety of our fans has to come first of course"
- Madonna's Madame X Tour has been halted "Following official notification from the Office of the Police this morning prohibiting all events with an audience attendance of over 1000, Live Nation regrets to announce the final two Madame X performances previously re-scheduled to 10-March and 11-March are forced to be cancelled,"
- Pearl Jam have postponed the first leg of their North American tour (including the March 28th show slated for Baltimore) amid coronavirus fears.
- The 2020 editions of Coachella and Stagecoach are looking to be rescheduled to October
- Miley Cyrus canceled her trip to Australia for the World Tour Bushfire Relief concert, due to concerns relating to the coronavirus.