RNR News and Notes

Things we lost in the fire: Beck fears most of his music was destroyed in Universal's 2008 fire


There has been a lot of positive Beck news this week - he released his 14th studio album Hyperspace, he dropped some dope Prince inspired tracks from his Paisley Park Studios visit, and revealed he's not a scientologist. 


But unfortunately  - the 49 year old musical pioneer revealed some devisating news as well.  He believes that the majority of his music has been destroyed in the fire that ravaged Universal Studios lot.  This is the same fire that destroyed copies of music recorded by Al Green, Elton John, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Tom Petty, R.E.M., Tupac Shakur, The Eagles, and Patti LaBelle.



Beck says he suspects the damage is far worse than initially reported -

“I have a feeling that my management is not telling me because they can’t bear to break the news.”


In an interview   with the The Sydney Morning Herald - Beck revealed that the 14 albums he has released only represent 10% of his musical output with the other 90% lost in the fire 


Albums thought to be lost in the fire:


  • an entire “album like Sea Change

“There are completely different versions of songs and then there’s probably another 10 to 20 songs that aren’t on the record that [were] in progress ... things that I thought I would finish later. It wasn’t that they were bad songs, they just didn’t fit the mood of the album.”


  • a double solo album full of Hank Williams songs

 “I wanted to celebrate that influence in my music and explore it, and I don’t have a copy of that; it’s on a master tape, so that’s probably gone,”

  • A country album recorded in Nashville in just two days before the fire 


  • And an alubm of more straightforward indie rock songs  

“I went and tried to make an indie-rock album, so there’s an album that sounds like a Pavement, Sebadoh kind of thing,”